Monday, June 23, 2008

Cycle Day 7

Before we get started, please notice the poll to the right.  Please participate!


Mood:


Good, actually.  Most of the symptoms are subsiding.  I am pleased.  The cyst was angry again today, I guess it is fighting to stick around.  Either that or it is leaking...that would cause pain too.  I don't know.  We'll see.  I didn't get a chance to call the Clinic today about the Hysteroscopy.  I'll do that tomorrow.  I'm still hoping not to have to do the procedure.  So, still crossing my fingers.


If I may, and since it IS my blog, I will, I would like to take the opportunity to thank everyone for the nice emails and cards.  Your kind words mean the world to us and they are greatly appreciated.





Today's topic!


Baseline Ultrasounds also known as, "Couldn't you at least buy me dinner and drinks first?"


Baseline Ultrasound:


I guess most people's vision of an ultrasound is you lie on a table the ultrasound tech or doctor pulls out a crescent shaped doodad, squirts cold, clear goo on your tummy and runs said doodad over your tummy and says things like, "Oooooooo!  Nice pancreas!"  (honest I got that once)  or, "Do you want to know what the sex is?" (the phrase I long to hear)


Nice Ultrasound


I tell you, how I long for those days, now I get Ultrasounds with this thing.


Ultrasound Machine


And THIS THING!


Wand for the Transvaginal Ultrasound


It's called a Transvaginal Ultrasound.  Transvaginal ultrasound is a type of pelvic ultrasound.  It is a method to look at a woman's reproductive organs, including the uterus, ovaries, cervix and vagina. Transvaginal means across or through the vagina.


How the Test is Performed


You lie down on a table with your knees bent and feet in holders called stirrups. (shaking head) The health care provider will place a probe, called a transducer, into the vagina. The probe is covered with a condom and a gel. ( again with the head shaking)  The probe sends out sound waves, which reflect off body structures. A computer receives these waves and uses them to create a picture. The doctor can immediately see the picture on a nearby TV monitor.  (I've gotten pretty good at reading these ultrasounds.  In fact, good enough I looked into Ultrasound Tech school.  There are none near me.  Sucks huh?)


The health care provider will move the probe within the area to see the pelvic organs. This test can be used during pregnancy.


In some cases, a special transvaginal ultrasound method called saline infusion sonography (SIS), also called sonohysterography or hysterosonography, may be needed to more clearly view the uterus.  (Yeah, been there, done that, pffffffft.)  This test requires saline (sterile salt water) to be placed into the uterus before the ultrasound. The saline helps outline any abnormal masses, so the doctor can get a better idea of their size.  SIS is not done on pregnant women.  (Uh, gee, ya think?)


So, they go in there, look around check out the uterine lining, fallopian tubes, ovaries and follicles.  Looking at the follicles is the exciting part. Hmmm...maybe that will another post, all about the stimulants and follicles.


Ok.  I guess that's it for today.  Tomorrow's topic?  I have no idea.  Suggestions?

5 comments:

  1. Excellent blog, Nic...you've really become a true blog mistress! :)


    Check is in the mail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] ultrasound on the belly anymore unless its neccessary for some reason. It looks like this: http://mommiewannabe.wordpress.com/2...23/cycle-day-7 And its very very long. I think you could ask your midwife or doctor what they are oing to [...]

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] transducer that is shaped like a massive dildo and goes into the vagina. (It looks like this: http://mommiewannabe.wordpress.com/2...23/cycle-day-7). Its already bad enough that the doctor covers the "dildo" with a condom and gel before [...]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, reali likein the blog. Just got a letter from the docs till say i have to go for one of these things, reali not likin the thought of it, but this has made me feel loads better =) keep blogin lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. [...] 9th, I started taking the pill again.  I went in on the 14th for my baseline ultrasound.  All was well [...]

    ReplyDelete